The 10 Most Popular UNESCO Sites in the United States

The 10 Most Popular UNESCO Sites in the United States

Ajith Kumar/iStock
https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/most-popular-unesco-sites-in-the-united-states


From the Grand Canyon to the Statue of Liberty, these are the most visited UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the United States—and why they belong on your bucket list.



The United States has its fair share of cultural and natural treasures, including 63 national parks and more than 2,600 National Historic Landmarks. But 26 of them are so universally valued that they’ve landed on UNESCO’s famous World Heritage List, which aims to protect and preserve them for future generations. Getting on the list, which stands at just under 1,250 sites globally, requires a nomination process that requires approval from several advisory bodies and the World Heritage Committee.

You’ll no doubt recognize the heavy hitters on the U.S. list, which consists of 13 cultural, 12 natural, and 1 mixed site. According to a UNESCO spokesperson, sites with the greatest interest vary each year, but Grand Canyon National Park, Yosemite National Park, Statue of Liberty, Yellowstone National Park, San Antonio Missions, and the 20th-Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright broadly generate a lot of interest. Read on to find out which UNESCO sites are the most popular in the country — and consider it the start of your bucket list.

PHOTO: WerksMedia/iStock

1 OF 10


WHERE: North Carolina and Tennessee

Drawing more than 12 million visitors per year, Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most popular of all the United States’ UNESCO sites, at least in terms of traffic. It’s easy to see why: the sprawling, 522,427-acre park spanning two states, North Carolina and Tennessee, offers abundant chances for immersing in the outdoors, camping, and hiking, including 74 miles of the Appalachian Trail. Whether you plan to go horseback riding, fish its many streams, or just take in those beautiful vistas and waterfalls, it’s a park to remember.

PHOTO: Erik Harrison/iStock

2 OF 10

Grand Canyon National Park

WHERE: Arizona

Arizona’s iconic gorge of red rocks as far as the eye can see, carved by the Colorado River, literally takes your breath away — and the breath of 4.7 million visitors a year. At more than 277 miles long, 18 miles wide, and a mile deep, its scale is astounding, not to mention that all those layers of sediment reveal billions of years of history. Add to that plenty of outdoor adventures like hiking and whitewater rafting, and you’ve got yourself a site worth visiting at least once in your life, at least according to President Teddy Roosevelt, who famously called it “the one great sight that every American should see.”

PHOTO: Inger Eriksen/iStock

3 OF 10

Yellowstone National Park

WHERE: Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho

America’s first national park, established in 1872, is also one of its most popular. It’s a magnet for more than 4.5 million visitors per year, a number that’s been steadily increasing over the past five years, according to the National Park Service. People come to see hot springs and geothermal features, including half the world’s active geysers — the most famous being Old Faithful — plus quintessentially North American wildlife like bison, elk, bear, and wolves. Most of its 2.2 million acres (that’s larger than Rhode Island and Delaware combined!) are in Wyoming, though it extends into Montana and Idaho, too.

PHOTO: Paul D Wade/iStock

4 OF 10

Yosemite National Park

WHERE: California

Towering sequoia trees, flowing waterfalls, and the granite cliffs of El Capitan and Half Dome are the main natural attractions in this California park, which gets nearly 4 million visitors a year. More than 95 percent of the park is wilderness, so there’s plenty of opportunity for camping, rock climbing, and rafting, plus 750 miles of trails to hike and scenic overlooks to take in those mesmerizing views.

PHOTO: Mshch/iStock

5 OF 10

Statue of Liberty

WHERE: New York City

Between 3 to 4 million people visit this beacon of liberty in New York Harbor each year, and for many it’s a physical reminder of freedom and opportunity. A gift from France in 1886, the 305-foot ​​Lady of Liberty Island famously says, “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses,” a quote from “The New Colossus” that was added to welcome the many immigrants that passed by as they entered the country. Many come to see what their ancestors must have seen as they first set foot in the U.S. generations ago and to climb to the top of the crown, a feat that requires ascending 162 steps in a tight spiral.

PHOTO: Sean Pavone/Shutterstock


6 OF 10


WHERE: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Both the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence were signed at this Philadelphia landmark that’s a must-see for American history buffs. The American Georgian building on Chestnut Street is part of the greater Independence National Historical Park that also includes the Liberty Bell. Fresh off a preservation project , the refreshed site is a reminder of America’s beginning and the Founding Fathers; there’s even a Ben Franklin Museum to honor the longtime Philly resident. Just under 3 million people visit each year.

PHOTO: Ken McCurdy/iStock

7 OF 10


WHERE: Hawaii

Two of the world’s most active volcanoes, Kilauea and Mauna Loa, spew lava in a dramatic natural show that draws nearly 1.5 million visitors per year to this Big Island park. Among the lava flows and views from Kilauea Caldera, there are hiking trails and the chance to spot rare animals like the nene (goose) and honeycreeper among its varied ecological zones (with seacoast, lowland forest, rainforest, and alpine, all in one park).

PHOTO: Allouphoto/Shutterstock

8 OF 10


WHERE: Florida

The largest tropical wilderness in the United States, South Florida’s “River of Grass” spans 1.5 million acres, showcasing Florida ecology on a vast scale and protecting endangered species like the Florida panther. More than a million visitors per year come to take tram tours among the wild swampland, spot alligators and birds like anhingas, and ride airboats among the sawgrass marshes (outside park limits). It’s a popular day-trip on virtually every list of first-time visitors to nearby Miami, making it a relatively easy bucket list item to check off.

PHOTO: Sean Pavone Photo/iStock

9 OF 10

San Antonio Missions

WHERE: San Antonio, Texas

More than a million visitors per year visit these five frontier mission complexes along the San Antonio River basin in Texas. You can see farmlands and 18th-century churches that are a reminder of Spain’s efforts to convert indigenous peoples to Christianity, resulting in an interesting mash-up of cultures that exists only here. According to UNESCO, the area has a “culture with an identity neither wholly Indigenous nor wholly Spanish that has proven exceptionally persistent and pervasive.”

PHOTO: F11photo/Shutterstock

10 OF 10

20th-Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright

WHERE: Various

While only inscribed to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2019, this collection of eight buildings already has massive interest, considering they were created by the single most influential modern architect in American history. Frank Lloyd Wright’s signature organic architectural style, which emphasizes harmony and nature, is on display in some popular U.S. cities, including the Guggenheim Museum in New York and Hollyhock House in Los Angeles as well as more rural locations, including Fallingwater in Pennsylvania.


Out of Recovery: Benchmarking the new phase for European hotels

https://hotelsmag.com/news/out-of-recovery-benchmarking-the-new-phase-for-european-hotels/

This story was contributed by Juan Gallardo and Jeannette King of HotStats. HotStats, now a Duetto company, is a global data benchmarking company for the hospitality industry.



Despite solid revenue numbers, European hotels now confront a new reality: stagnating margins and weakening profit conversion signal the end of the post-pandemic boom.

Still, the headline numbers coming out of Europe’s hotel sector look respectable. Revenues are ticking up, demand hasn’t collapsed, but dig deeper into P&L statements and a troubling pattern emerges: Profit margins have stopped expanding, cost pressures—particularly labor—are becoming structural, and the ability to convert incremental revenue into profit is weakening. In sum, the engine that powered the post-pandemic profit surge is sputtering.

Recent performance data across Europe illustrates why this shift matters.


REVENUE GROWTH IS UNEVEN— AND INCREASINGLY REVEALING

Across Europe, revenue growth continues, but not evenly. Eastern Europe remains the strongest performer, with TRevPAR up 6.5% and GOPPAR up 10.4% year-on-year. Southern Europe follows with more moderate growth of 4.6% and 5.7%, suggesting the region has moved beyond recovery and into normalization.

By contrast, Western and Northern Europe are showing signs of strain. TRevPAR growth is limited to 2.2% and 1.4%, while GOPPAR growth slows to 2.2% and just 0.2%, respectively. Revenue momentum is weakening even as cost pressures, particularly labor, continue to rise.

This divergence reinforces a broader shift in performance measurement. RevPAR alone no longer captures the full revenue picture. As hotels seek growth beyond rooms, TRevPAR has become a more meaningful indicator of overall performance.

MARGINS HOLDING; NOT EXPANDING

Looking beyond revenue, Europe’s profitability story becomes more constrained. GOP margins in full-year 2025 stand at approximately 36.5%, broadly in line with last year. While still healthy by historical standards, margin expansion has stalled.

Southern Europe continues to lead, with GOP margins approaching 41% and remaining stable around 40% since 2023, now slightly above pre-pandemic levels. Western Europe sits at the opposite end of the spectrum, posting the lowest GOP margin at 33.3%, still below pre-pandemic performance.

Revenue growth alone is no longer delivering margin expansion. Profitability increasingly depends on how effectively operators convert revenue into profit.



PEAK PROFITABILITY?

At an aggregate level, Europe may already have passed its profit peak. GOP margins rose steadily through the recovery and reached a high point in 2024. In 2025, margins remain strong at just under 37%, but the trajectory has flattened.

This is happening despite continued top-line growth. Both TRevPAR and GOPPAR are up by nearly 3% year-on-year. However, flow-through is running at only 35%, meaning incremental revenue is delivering significantly less incremental profit than in earlier years.

The next phase of performance will depend less on demand recovery and more on operational discipline.

ANCILLARY REVENUE MOVES CENTER STAGE

As room revenue growth moderates, ancillary income is becoming increasingly important. Wellness stands out, with spa treatments and membership fees up 4.7% and 6%, reaching approximately €10–€11 per occupied room.

Food-and-beverage performance is more mixed. Outlet and C&B food revenues show modest growth, while beverage revenues remain under pressure, highlighting the need for targeted activation rather than broad-based pricing. Other revenue streams, such as parking and attrition fees, continue to rise.

Incremental profit today is less about selling more rooms and more about maximizing spend across the entire property.

RESHAPING THE P&L

Labor has become the single largest pressure point on profitability. Total payroll per available room is up nearly 5% year-on-year, driven by increases across Rooms, F&B operations, and Sales & Marketing. Labor inflation is no longer cyclical—it is structural.

Pressure extends further down the P&L. Credit card commissions now average €3 per available room, up from €2.3 pre pandemic. Sales & Marketing expenses remain elevated at €2.3 PAR as operators work harder to drive incremental revenue, while rising loyalty program costs— driven by increased points issuance and promotions—continue to erode margins.



WHAT COMES NEXT

Europe’s hotel sector has moved beyond recovery and into an optimization phase. Revenue is still growing, but margins are flat, costs are structurally higher and profit conversion is under strain. What comes next will be defined by operational precision, not demand growth.

“Hotels that succeed in this environment will be the ones that understand profit at a granular level,” said Michael Grove, CEO of HotStats. “That means knowing exactly where revenue is generated, where costs are rising and where action will have the greatest impact.”

In today’s market, profitability is no longer about chasing growth—it is about precision profit engineering.

I Went to Bali to Heal and Joined a Cult Instead



Rawpixel.com/Shutterstock
https://www.fodors.com/world/asia/indonesia/places/bali/experiences/news/how-i-accidentally-joined-a-cult-in-bali


At a yoga teacher training in Bali, one traveler searched for catharsis, connection, and clarity after family trauma — but discovered you can’t manufacture enlightenment, only real friendship.


My forehead, damp with sweat in Bali’s humid air, was pressed against a stranger’s. We hadn’t even exchanged names. A sob drew my eyes sideways. Two women were crying, their faces crumpled, tears streaming. They’d felt each other’s souls, they explained.

“Oh my god,” I thought. “I’ve joined a cult.”

We were all dressed in white—30 strangers enrolled in the same yoga teacher training—gathered around a flower mandala. I was desperate to make eye contact with someone, anyone who also found this absurd. A fellow skeptic ready to raise an eyebrow, suppress a smirk, offer some small signal of shared disbelief. No one did.

We’d barely arrived before being handed candles and told to form two lines, holding hands. Then we climbed the stairs into the shala, a thatched open-air pavilion. Its curved bamboo ribs rose above us, sunlight slanting across the polished wooden floor in long golden stripes. We snaked through the room in silence, maintaining eye contact with each person we passed.

I’d come to Bali straight from Jakarta, where I’d seen my father for the first time since he left when I was 14, almost half a lifetime ago. I had no expectations. That’s what I kept telling myself. And honestly, the visit was tolerable. Polite. He introduced me to his wife. She looked my age.

“How old is she?” I asked.

“Thirty-three,” my dad said. “So she’s three years older than you.”

“I’m actually 27,” I said.

She was the one who asked about my life, who tried to get to know me, who shared stories about their two-year-old son. My dad mostly typed away on his laptop and phone, just like when I was a kid. We didn’t talk about the past–or anything, really. I left feeling untethered, like I’d braced for impact that never arrived.

I’d planned two months in Bali to decompress. Time alone, a chance to finally sit still after a childhood spent in chaos. I’d just lost my job and subletted my apartment. Yoga teacher training cost $2,000 for three weeks, meals and housing included–cheaper than living in New York, and maybe I’d return with some clarity.

Back in the shala, the first step toward clarity was staring into candle flames until our eyes watered. Feel the energy, our teacher said.

I felt nothing except a persistent ache in my lower back.

he rituals continued. Yoga nidra became my favorite—not for spiritual reasons, but because I could nap without judgment. We’d lie on our backs while the teacher guided us through a story designed to induce deep relaxation. I was unconscious within seconds.

This had become a running joke. I swore I’d stay awake for the next one.

Afterward, someone said, “Wasn’t that beautiful? When we swam with the dolphins?”

I perked up. “Wait, what dolphins?”

“The dolphins in the meditation,” another woman replied. “And then we flew through the clouds, and there was a rainbow—”

I looked around, waiting for someone to crack. “You’re messing with me.”

They weren’t. They were dead serious.

While everyone else was swimming with dolphins through rainbow skies, I’d been drooling onto my yoga mat.

Then came active meditation. Fifteen minutes of jumping, shaking, flailing. The floor vibrated under 30 pairs of bare feet. Pure physical chaos meant to release trapped emotions. Full-body, guttural wails ricocheted around the room.

I kept jumping, waiting for the floodgates to open. Nothing happened.

Where was my catharsis? What was wrong with me? I felt something close to envy watching these women crumble so easily, like they’d found a release valve I couldn’t access.

One afternoon, we sat in a circle for an optional sharing session. People volunteered their deepest traumas. Things I wouldn’t tell my closest friends, let alone 30 strangers I’d known for a few days.

They bawled.

I said nothing. Not because I had nothing to say, but because the idea of performing vulnerability on command made my skin crawl.

his wasn’t my first attempt at transformation. Two weeks earlier, I’d been at a luxury healing retreat, the kind with cacao ceremonies and overpriced smoothies. I’d chosen the “deep healing package.”

A Balinese shaman dumped a bucket of cold water over my head, as thick incense smoke obscured the courtyard. I waded through the Tirta Empul temple pools in a sarong that clung to my thighs. I ran into the ocean at dawn while a woman chanted.

I didn’t feel healed at all. I just remember thinking: “I’m so sick of being wet.”

Other women said they felt transformed. Lighter. That the water had cleansed something deep inside them. I wondered if I was broken.

I’ve done years of therapy. Reiki. Craniosacral. Microdosing. Still, when therapists ask where I hold emotions in my body, I never know what to say.

Now seemed like the right time to get unstuck. I’d just lost my job. Seen my estranged father and felt nothing resolve. Spent my childhood helping my mother breathe through panic attacks and managing her suicide threats. I dealt with cops and social workers and mandated court counseling. So I showed up in Bali wide open, ready to be fixed.

Spoiler: I couldn’t do it.

I told a friend about it later. She couldn’t stop laughing. Finally she sputtered: “The funniest part is that you actually wanted to join the cult. You just couldn’t.” And she was right.

Throughout training, active meditation eluded me. The dolphins never appeared. I’d longed for a glimpse of a stranger’s soul. But I couldn’t manufacture the breakthrough everyone else seemed to experience like clockwork.

Part of me found the whole thing absurd—the crying on cue, the instant “soul connections.” Another part wondered if I was the problem. Was I just not in tune with my emotions? Not enlightened enough? These women had been practicing yoga for years, consistently, devotedly. I’d go for a few weeks, then forget about it for months. Maybe they could access a euphoria I simply wasn’t disciplined enough to reach.

The two women from the opening ceremony, the ones who felt each other’s souls, became inseparable. They did everything together and ate every meal side by side.

Until day four, when they had a screaming fight and stopped speaking entirely.

Despite all of this—the performative emotions, the failed New Age rituals—I did make real friends. We’d visit Ubud during our time off, lounge by the pools, and stay up late talking. These women came from all over the world, each carrying wildly different stories that led us all to the same Balinese shala.

On my birthday, one of the girls had the cooks bake me a secret cake. They surprised me, taking turns singing Happy Birthday in their languages. I was thousands of miles from home, had just met these people, yet they made me feel like I mattered.

So what was real? Did those two women actually entwine souls, or were they just caught up in the ritual? And can you manufacture epiphanies, authenticity, and intimacy?

Research suggests you can. Collective gatherings can create real emotional states, according to a 2020 Frontiers in Psychology article. Shared attention and synchronized movement trigger what psychologists call “perceived emotional synchrony.” We had all of it—the group rituals, the collective focus, the physical coordination. For some women, maybe the experiences were genuine. For others, maybe the ritual created an illusion of kinship, however fleeting. I’ll never know. I just know I couldn’t tap into any of it.

But yoga is built on oppositional forces. Strength and flexibility, effort and surrender.

I wanted to join the cult but couldn’t. I found the rituals absurd but envied those who didn’t. I couldn’t manufacture enlightenment but made genuine friends. Maybe that was its own kind of balance. Turns out you can fail at joining a cult and still have a good time.




DUHC&S | Strategic Hospitality Consulting & Advisory

We transform hospitality and tourism businesses through strategic solutionsoperational efficiency, and comprehensive renovation. With over  40 years of experience  working with brands like Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, and Sonesta, we enhance asset value and profitability through:

*Operational excellence and brand standards (GSI +90%)
*Market penetration and commercial strategies
*Key partnerships and disruptive innovation
*Hotel openings and repositioning

Proven results :
✅ 48% GOP | 
✅ +120% asset valuation growth
✅ Successful projects across 6 Latin American countries

🔹 Let's connect :
📩 Email:  diurugeles@gmail.com
📱 WhatsApp: +57 3153259968
     Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/diur_2000/

               https://viajes-noticias-duhospitality.blogspot.com
               https://viajes-duhospitality.blogspot.com
               https://travel-duhospitality.blogspot.com



Disclaimer

DUHC&S shares this information for educational and informational purposes only. The news articles reproduced here are sourced from public and recognized media outlets. We are not the original authors of this content but rather distributors of it. All credits go to the original sources cited in each article. If you are the legitimate owner of any material and wish to have it modified or removed, please contact us immediately at  diurugeles@gmail.com, and we will address your request promptly.

Comments

https://travel-news-duhospitality.blogspot.com