How will higher gas prices impact US hotel results?

How will higher gas prices impact US hotel results?

Experts weigh-in with varying perspectives, but history suggests not as much as one would think.


Oil prices have have been hovering around $100 a barrel since the conflict broke out in Iran.
https://www.hotelinvestmenttoday.com/Forecasts/How-will-higher-gas-prices-impact-hotel-results?

NATIONAL REPORT – Prices at the gas pump have surged since the start of the conflict in Iran, which increase travel costs for consumers as well as operational costs for hoteliers. The question on everyone’s mind is how much higher oil prices will impact hotel performance and costs.

Well, that depends on who you ask. If you ask STR, last year Senior Analyst Hannah Smith debunked the axiom that higher gas prices lead to lower travel. She said, in the long term, periods of high demand coincide with periods of high gas prices. Even in drive-to destinations, there’s not conclusive evidence that higher gas prices deter demand. If any segment gets hurt, it is the economy segment, she reported.

Jan Freitag, national director for Hospitality Market Analytics at CoStar, said they have never been able to establish a relationship between gas price increases and hotel demand decline. “We even looked at hotels near interstate locations,” he said.

The way he thinks about it: “Your car has a 20-gallon tank. Gas goes from $3.50 to $4.50. So, you need to pay $20 more per tank. Let’s assume it takes you four tanks to drive your family to Disney and back on spring break. Are you really not going to see Mickey Mouse because of $80? Probably not. You may make different choices, booking a limited-service hotel versus a full-service hotel, or get one more fast-food lunch versus a sit-down restaurant.”

Freitag reiterated that only economy segment hotels have the expected (but weak) relationship to gas prices. “Even in drive-to markets, no relationship between gas prices and demand,” he said.

Michelle Russo from asset management firm hotelAVE said it’s too early to tell what impact higher gas prices will have on the hotel business.

“Generally, there has been little impact to hotel occupancy; instead, there is an occupancy shift – shorter driving trips and more regional vacations,” Russo said. “Lower-tier hotels are more sensitive to gas prices (but not luxury).”

David McCaslin from CapStar Advisors added, “In the near term, negative impacts for our industry will be felt primarily by summer drive to leisure markets in the mid to lower tier price points. These have the most price sensitive consumers and the calculation of the cost impact to their vacation is the most direct and most discretionary.”

Analysis from analyst R.W. Baird does not indicate a strong relationship has existed between higher gas prices and hotel demand. What is more likely to have an impact: changes in employment, consumer confidence, and corporate profitability.

Baird’s Michael Bellisario wrote that gasoline represents ~3% of household expenditures, and total energy expenditures, including electricity and natural gas, are about 6%, adding that these percentages are at/near relative lows over the last 20-plus years. Also, he said, income tax refunds are higher YTD (+11% y/y), which should cushion some of the near-term impact from higher prices at the pump.

For owners, Bellisario said electricity costs were on the rise prior to the recent spike in gas and oil prices. As a result, higher energy costs could be a slight incremental headwind to owners’ profitability in 2026E. For select-service and full-service portfolios, utility costs represent ~3.5%-4% and ~3% of total revenues, respectively.

But what Baird did not touch on, according to hotelAVE Chief Investment Officer Loren Balsam, is the inflationary effect on food and beverage costs and guest supplies. “An extended period of higher oil prices will ripple through cost of distribution of goods hotels (and consumers) typically purchase,” Balsam said. “It will be interesting to see how it hits the items in the CPI basket.”

The team at Aimbridge Hospitality told Hotel Investment Today that historically, fuel spikes push airfare higher quickly through fuel surcharges, but demand destruction is typically limited unless paired with a broader economic downturn. “We are seeing that pattern again as airlines are raising fares, yet overall travel demand remains resilient,” said Aimbridge Chief Global Growth Officer Eric Jacobs.

He said luxury leisure demand is the strongest segment today and is largely insulated from airfare inflation. “Affluent travelers are unlikely to change behavior materially, and any airline capacity reductions are unlikely to be large enough to impact that segment meaningfully,” Jacobs said, adding that the real risk lies with the economy-to-upper-midscale traveler. “This segment is already traveling less, is far more price‑sensitive, and feels fuel inflation immediately, whether flying or driving.”

Aimbridge said as gas prices rise, discretionary trips, weekend travel, and shoulder demand are most likely to soften. “This is where the impact becomes meaningful for our portfolio, particularly in secondary markets and hotels reliant on drive‑to leisure and price‑sensitive demand,” Jacobs added.

Hotel investor Glyn Aeppel of Glencove Capital said she cannot imagine gas prices sliding back down anytime soon but rather continuing to rise. “This will have a significant impact on the cost of travel with a strong likelihood of significant reductions in the volume of travelers,” she said. “Also, potential operating cost increases which will impact profitability margins.”

Ben Rafter, CEO at Hotel Equities said that while they have not seen demand declining, higher gas prices always lead to lower demand via higher airline ticket prices, energy surcharges and lower summer automobile travel. “In this case, domestic travel to places like national parks and Hawaii may uptick as Americans avoid international travel due to global turmoil. Major international inbound markets, conversely, will be impacted negatively, albeit this was already expected due to several other factors,” he said.

Former Remington Hospitality CEO Sloan Dean told Hotel Investment Today that he believes higher gas prices will hurt drive-to leisure markets in the summer, especially economy and midscale, if the higher prices persist.  “There’s no-to-little impact to-date YET,” he said. “But let’s see what prices at the pump look like come Memorial Day. Most the drive-to leisure is shorter booking window. So, we are out of the demand window still.”


The Addictive Racquet Sport Everyone’s Now Playing (and It’s Not Pickleball)

Courtesy Fora Travel
https://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/california/palm-springs-and-the-desert-resorts/places/palm-springs/experiences/news/the-addictive-racquet-sport-everyones-now-playing-and-its-not-pickleball


The Parker Palm Springs hosts us for an introduction to the latest racquet craze.



Padel–or as some pronounce it, “pah-del”–is quickly becoming a fixture at resorts worldwide, drawing both seasoned athletes and curious newcomers. This sport, a blend of tennis, squash, and racquetball, is played in doubles on compact, enclosed courts that encourage constant interaction. Recently, the Parker Palm Springs (a Fodor’s Finest hotel) replaced its red clay courts with new Padel courts, creating an active space where guests can play and socialize, often with refreshments close at hand. The atmosphere feels lively and connected, with players and spectators sharing the experience. Padel uses a perforated, solid racket and lower-pressure balls, keeping the game approachable for beginners. An underhand serve is all that’s required to start a new rally, and the ball’s ability to rebound off glass and mesh keeps play unpredictable and engaging. With these features, Padel offers both energy and community, welcoming players of all backgrounds to try something new.


I Was a Judge at the ‘Academy Awards of Water’ — and Drank 65 Glasses on Stage

ValleraTo/Shutterstock
https://www.fodors.com/news/restaurants/i-became-a-judge-at-the-academy-awards-of-water-and-drank-65-glasses-on-stage


In one hyper-hydrated day, I tasted and judged 65 entries at the world’s largest water competition.


I look out over the table and understand how a competitive swimmer must feel the moment before diving into an Olympic-size pool.

In front of me sit 24 glasses of water, each from a different municipal utility. My job is to taste them all, rating the tap waters on multiple attributes. And I’ll be doing this while a crowd watches my every sip and swirl.

Although I’ve been drinking water all my life, I can’t say I’m particularly qualified to be a judge at the Berkeley Springs International Water Tasting competition, which calls itself the Academy Awards of Water. I don’t know what to expect other than this: I’m pretty sure I will stay hydrated.

The annual competition is held in a historic West Virginia spa town where George Washington once bathed, the Hollywood of H2O, if you will. The free annual event attracts several hundred spectators, a combination of water industry competitors, out-of-town visitors, and locals eager to sample the liquids. At night’s end comes the Water Rush, a mad scramble to grab a souvenir, like a rare bottle of something like Antipodes, an award-winner from New Zealand.

Over its 35 years, the competition has attracted thousands of entrants, including honorees from Bosnia, Taiwan, and Ecuador. Dozens of North American cities have entered their tap water. Over the years, the Clearbrook Waterworks District in British Columbia has taken home the crown several times.

Winners take the prize seriously, often redesigning their labels to highlight their Berkeley Springs triumph. All this makes me wonder what I’m doing here, tasked to sample 65 waters in four categories: municipal, non-carbonated, purified, and sparkling. I was invited after I wrote a short article previewing the event, not because I had any expertise.

Today I’m feeling very much a fish out of water. But my new friend Mark Kraham, a veteran judge of 28 years, has taken me under his wing, like an upperclassman helping a confused freshman on the first day of school. The toughest category is going to be purified, he tells me.

These liquids are stripped of chemicals and minerals, which removes most of their distinctive taste, he says. Municipal and spring will be easier. Then our reward will come in the last round, sparkling. “That’s like dessert.”

But I remain baffled about the entire event. “People are going to watch us drink water?” I ask, finally beginning to understand what I had volunteered to do.

Mark smiles. “And next week, they’re going to come to watch paint dry.”

My training began earlier that afternoon in a half-hour crash course for the 10 judges. Our instructor, Arthur von Wiesenberger, the contest’s “Water Master” for the past 35 years, has written books on bottled water and consulted for companies like Evian.

Von Wiesenberger grew up in Europe and became fascinated with the local bottled water he encountered as he traveled with his parents. His all-time favorite, he told me, was a mildly sparkling water from France called Badoit.

But whatever the water, the principles of tasting remain the same, he said. “You’ve all been tasting water on a subconscious level. What we try and do is bring that to a conscious level.”

We were going to rate entries on appearance, odor, mouthfeel, taste, and aftertaste. And then we’d have to give our overall impression using a 14-level grading system created by a University of California-Berkeley professor.

The lowest rating, number one, is described as: “The water has a terrible, strong taste and I can’t stand it in my mouth.” Number four states that “I would only drink it in a serious emergency,” which made me wonder: What kind of emergency?

Finally, at the other end comes number 14: “I would be happy to have it for my everyday drinking water.”

Like a dripping faucet, the instructions began to overwhelm me. I still wasn’t quite clear how to sort out a simple sip. But it was too late to back out. It was time for a practice round with three unmarked glasses to see if I was judge-worthy.

I took a hesitant swallow from the first glass. It tasted like … water. Nothing special, but nothing memorable either. The second glass was a little different. A bit cleaner, perhaps? I couldn’t quite tell, but they definitely weren’t the same.

Then I sipped the third. It felt like a train wreck in my mouth, fizzy and funky, a taste that reminded me of filtered bathwater. I almost spit it out.

We rated each and readied for von Wiesenberger’s question. Which one do we prefer?

No one voted for the first glass, and he looked pleased. It had been tap water.

“What about the second one?” I hesitantly raised my hand, and another judge joined me. We had voted for a purified water. Everybody else chose the third, a sparkling mineral water.

This confirmed that I had unsophisticated taste, but von Wiesenberger didn’t mind. I had proven I could detect a difference between the three. Not everyone does, he said. “Sometimes someone has a bad cold or palate, and they can’t taste anything. We tell them they should sit it out.”

But I had passed, and he handed me a diploma declaring me a certified water taster.

An hour later, I put my new credential to use, taking to the stage for round one of tasting: 24 glasses of municipal water.

Von Wiesenberger and the contest producer Jill Klein Rone look us over and in unison give their command: “Let the waters flow!”

The ballroom lights glare down, making the rows of glasses shimmer like crystal trophies. Following von Wiesenberger suggestion, I taste the first four entries and choose a favorite. That would become my standard for the others. As I work through the glasses, some begin to stand out. The best, I decide, is the next to last. Number 23 has everything I want in water.

As I sip, von Wiesenberger and Rone regale the crowd like play-by-play announcers at the Westminster Dog Show, sharing water trivia and a few bad jokes. Meanwhile, many in the crowd leave their seats, lining up at tasting tables to sample the same liquids we are rating.

I tune them out, focusing on the waters, searching for distinctions that I never realized were there. Oddly enough, the more I sample, the thirstier I become. Von Wiesenberger had warned me: Constant sipping washes away saliva.

After the second round, which features purified water, we take a break, allowing time to spiff up for the black-tie optional finale.

When we return to the stage, things begin smoothly. I work my way through the purified entries, and am ready for dessert. But halfway through the sparkling water round, disaster strikes—an actual emergency, but perhaps not the one that had been anticipated in the ranking scale.

I need to use the bathroom

Oddly enough, this was something von Wiesenberger never covered. I consider soldiering through, but the line of waters left to sample is too daunting. I quietly exit the stage, sprinting to the restrooms in the back of the hall, only to find three children lined up ahead of me. I tap my foot and briefly consider pulling rank and pushing my way to the front. But here, on the gala night of the Academy Awards of Water, it felt like conduct unbecoming of a judge.

Instead, I hustle up the back steps to my hotel room.

By the time I return to the stage, my fellow judges are mostly finished. I rush through the final glasses and make my picks. Thirty minutes later, the results are announced.

Gold medal municipal honors go to Emporia, Kansas. My favorite—delicious number 23 from Port Severn, Ontario—doesn’t even place. Theoni Natural from Greece wins non-carbonated; Gaithersburg, Maryland’s DrinkMore Water takes purified; and Wilderness Mountain Water of Bland, Virginia, claims sparkling bragging rights. (While Wilderness isn’t widely distributed, it’s still easy to taste: The company also bottles some waters for the trendy national brand Liquid Death.)

To my great relief, no loud protests erupt from the floor. With 10 judges, I reason, even if my choices had been outliers, they could be dismissed as mere statistical noise. Bottomline: I hadn’t destroyed the integrity of the world’s premier international water tasting.

The next morning, I brushed my teeth and lingered over a glass of water. It tasted fresh and smooth. My tasting skills hadn’t disappeared overnight.

Before leaving, I stopped by Berkeley Springs State Park, located next door to the host hotel. It has baths and a public faucet offering free fill-ups of the city’s celebrated water, which had taken fifth place in the municipal category the previous night.

I topped off a water bottle and returned to my car, confident in one thing: I wasn’t going to get thirsty on the drive home.

Hilton CEO won’t accept US’s sinking tourism share

Hilton CEO Christopher Nassetta is intent on the U.S. recovering some of the global market share it has lost in the past 10 years.



                             
https://www.hotelinvestmenttoday.com/Development/Brands/Hilton-CEO-won-t-accept-US-s-sinking-tourism-share?
By Christina Jelski


WASHINGTON, D.C. — Hilton CEO Christopher Nassetta sounded the alarm on America’s declining appeal as a global tourism destination.

During a conversation at the Punchbowl News Conference in Washington, D.C., on March 10, Nassetta told the audience that the U.S. has lost half its share of the inbound international market over the last 30 years.

“We were 10% of inbound global travel 30 years ago,” he said. “Now we’re 5%. I don’t think we should accept that.”

Nassetta pointed to reduced travel from Canada, which has fallen sharply amid ongoing political tensions.

Recovering even half of the lost global market share would mean “massive amounts of incremental economic activity and millions of incremental jobs,” he said.

Nassetta also noted that Brand USA, the public-private organization that promotes the U.S. as a travel destination, has been largely defunded.

“We need to make sure we fund it,” he said. “A lot of people want to come to America. But there are a lot of other options.”

He pushed for making it easier for travelers to enter the U.S.

“We have to make it more frictionless, more welcoming — not add friction by charging incremental fees or asking for incremental information we may not need,” said Nassetta, adding that modern biometric technology makes it possible to be “safer than we’ve ever been” while removing most friction from the system.

Despite the headwinds, Nassetta said he is optimistic, pointing to early signs of improvement in mid-market hotel performance and various macroeconomic tailwinds, such as easing inflation, lower interest rates, and a favorable tax environment.

“All the mid-market stuff, every little Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn and Homewood Suites and all these products that serve that middle class, you’re starting to see them move in a very different direction than we had been seeing them move,” said Nassetta.




DUHC&S | Strategic Hospitality Consulting & Advisory

We transform hospitality and tourism businesses through strategic solutionsoperational efficiency, and comprehensive renovation. With over  40 years of experience  working with brands like Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, and Sonesta, we enhance asset value and profitability through:

*Operational excellence and brand standards (GSI +90%)
*Market penetration and commercial strategies
*Key partnerships and disruptive innovation
*Hotel openings and repositioning

Proven results :
✅ 48% GOP | 
✅ +120% asset valuation growth
✅ Successful projects across 6 Latin American countries

🔹 Let's connect :
📩 Email:  diurugeles@gmail.com
📱 WhatsApp: +57 3153259968
     Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/diur_2000/

               https://viajes-noticias-duhospitality.blogspot.com
               https://viajes-duhospitality.blogspot.com
               https://travel-duhospitality.blogspot.com



Disclaimer

DUHC&S shares this information for educational and informational purposes only. The news articles reproduced here are sourced from public and recognized media outlets. We are not the original authors of this content but rather distributors of it. All credits go to the original sources cited in each article. If you are the legitimate owner of any material and wish to have it modified or removed, please contact us immediately at  diurugeles@gmail.com, and we will address your request promptly.

Comments

https://travel-news-duhospitality.blogspot.com