I Tried Cheap Botox Abroad — Then Learned It Was Illegal

I Tried Cheap Botox Abroad — Then Learned It Was Illegal

ADNAN BECI / Contributor
https://www.fodors.com/news/news/i-tried-cheap-botox-abroad-then-learned-it-was-it-was-a-counterfeit-cosmetic-treatments


What had I been injected with?

No matter how much I traveled, I couldn’t outrun time.

Silencing my morning alarm, I slumped from the bed of my Albanian apartment and began my day. But that day was different. Sometime between scrubbing sleep from my face and dermarolling a thin patch of hair, it dawned on me.

At the end of the year, I’d turn 40.

I remembered my parents turning 40. They had three kids, a house, and friends to chide them over their age. At 39, I had an Xbox and a three-legged dog.

Previously, a dermatologist back in Buenos Aires said I looked good for my age, though she might have also been trying to sell me a facial laser treatment. I didn’t feel old either. Sure, my neck occasionally tweaked out at the gym, and my back would pop if I sat on the toilet wrong, but that happened to everyone. Right?

Still, I knew if I found myself sitting alone when my 40th birthday hit in December, all sorts of depressive thoughts would creep in, and I wanted to prevent that. Maybe an “I’m still sexy at 40” photoshoot with pics nobody but me would ever see would help. Just a little something to feel better about myself.

It was May, so I had time. I could blast away pounds with the leg press and Jazzersize on my own, but I’d need help with the crow’s feet clawing out the sides of my eyes. My “I’m still sexy at 40” photos wouldn’t look great if my face resembled a weathered catcher’s mitt.

On my daily walks to the gym in Tirana, Albania, I’d pass a dozen or more cosmetic surgery offices. Signs advertising affordable medical care welcomed travelers landing at the airport. Phone numbers for people interested in perfect noses and improved hairlines were slapped on buses, while mailers for discount facelifts were frequently left outside my apartment door.

I was no stranger to international medical care. I received regular health screenings and bloodwork in Argentina, and visited Mexico for dental care more than a few times. Outside of dated Good Housekeeping magazines in the lobby, the only differences between U.S. and Latin American healthcare providers were Spanish forms and thousands in savings.

Before my move to Albania, I had no clue the nation wanted to position itself as a go-to medical tourism destination. But several months in, I couldn’t walk a city block without some kind of advertisement–almost always in English. Fortune Magazine did a write-up on Albania’s push to lure tourists to the country for cosmetic care, while Vox reported the country brought in roughly €250 million ($288 million) in 2023 alone (not an insignificant amount for a country whose GDP was $24B in 2023). With a trip to the States for a friend’s wedding a few weeks away, I decided to give Botox a try. After all, what better time to test a new medical service in a developing country than right before a wedding?

Sifting through Google for top-reviewed cosmetic clinics, I booked an appointment. The Botox injections would cost €250 ($288), regardless of how many units were used (just as long as I didn’t require more than the 125 units in a single vial).

At the facility, which would have looked right at home in Los Angeles or Miami, the staff cleaned my skin, lathered it with a numbing cream, then injected away, though I think they jumped the gun a little–the numbing didn’t actually kick in until I was back at the apartment.

Satisfied with the results and the trimming of my crow’s feet, I contacted the same service provider months later in October. That round of injections would last me through my 40th birthday and whatever “I’m still sexy” photoshoot I decided on.

The clinic responded that they were no longer offering Botox and instead pushed a variety of fillers. I declined.

Strange. What cosmetic offices didn’t offer the world’s most used cosmetic product? So I contacted a second office. A third. Fourth. Fifth. Nobody offered the injections any longer.

Something felt off.

It didn’t take long to uncover the problem. A year earlier, over 30 cosmetic offices in Tirana were busted for using either smuggled or counterfeit Botox. These weren’t shady, back-alley spots with tinted windows and flickering fluorescent lights overhead. These were Albania’s premier providers. As it turned out, Botox was an unregulated medical product, which meant there was no government oversight on its import. In short, the use of Botox in Albania was illegal.

It also meant that my facial injections months earlier were either smuggled, counterfeit (made in an unregulated lab), or real Botox cut with something else.

Whatever was used on me, I didn’t like it. I had visions of Walter White cooking up Botox in an RV somewhere, only for it to end up in the back room of my service provider. According to the FDA, possible side effects of counterfeit Botox include systemic botulism, a rare yet potentially life-threatening condition if not immediately treated.

Thankfully, that didn’t happen. Those would not have been good 40th “I’m sexy” photos. Doubling back with the original service provider, they wouldn’t answer any specific questions, instead noting, “It is a service that here in Albania is not offered.” Another clinic said, “Due to legal reasons, we do not offer the service.”

Even the Google reviews for Botox services had vanished. I didn’t even know you could expunge those.

In 2022, the Forensic Science International Journal published a peer-reviewed paper about the dangers of fake medicine and substandard medical procedures. In low to middle-income countries, one in 10 procedures relied on counterfeit medication. The “Botox” injection I received fell into that category. Thankfully, I did not suffer any adverse side effects. All of the fillers the cosmetic offices recommended were on the up-and-up. There had been no police raids to nab lip or forehead fillers, and the government regulates those products. I found it strange that the Albanian government regulated fillers and not Botox, but then again, questioning how governments work is a fool’s errand at times.

I did check with several Albanian expat Facebook communities, and surprisingly, nobody had any knowledge of the lack of government oversight on Botox. Many stated they received the injections in months past with no adverse effects. Nobody seemed to mind not knowing what was actually being used on them as long as it worked. I’m not sure what was more concerning: people not caring about what drugs were used on them (especially considering potential side effects), or medical providers not informing their patients that what they were doing was illegal.

This is not intended to frighten anyone from seeking medical attention in another country. Exceptional care can be found outside of the United States for a fraction of the price. In fact, the rest of my experiences were all exceptional. These international services allow you to correct cosmetic issues robbing you of your confidence, restore your hairline, waistline, or bustline, and even give you access to treatments not yet approved in the U.S. (former NBA superstar Kobe Bryant famously went to Germany for platelet-rich-plasma injection therapy as the FDA hadn’t yet approved the product). Just make sure to do your due diligence and investigate not only the service provider, but also the service within the country.

For this, a little research goes a long way. Beyond looking up potential service providers, search the medical treatment within the country and look for any news stories associated with the topic. Here you’ll see if there have been any product recalls, cosmetic office raids, and so on. While you’re at it, do a deep dive on not only the service provider you’re interested in, but also the doctors on staff. Find out where they received their medical degrees. This info should be readily available on the service provider’s website. If not, contact the provider (usually via WhatsApp) and ask. If they won’t tell you, it’s a major red flag, and move on to another option. Don’t leave any stones unturned, because if you have severe reactions to counterfeit drugs or products, you’ll be stuck with a massive medical bill back in the U.S. trying to fix the issue (which entirely defeats the purpose of going abroad for treatments in the first place).

In terms of determining the authenticity of a product–that’s going to be very difficult. You’ve done your research on the service and the country, so you know it’s legal and the clinic seems on the up and up. Really, the only other thing you can do is to see the product (i.e. filler or Botox) before it is used. Watch them break the seal on the vial and ask to see the expiration dates. At the very least, you will know the product is new and hasn’t expired.

With some extra research, you can go into an international medical service with peace of mind knowing you’ll receive excellent care. And if you ever have any doubts, walk away. It’s not worth a roll of the dice. After all, there are far worse things in life than looking like a weathered catcher’s mitt for your 40th birthday.


I Stayed at Hedonism II, the Infamous Sex Resort, and Answer All Your Questions

BGStock72/Shutterstock
https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/everything-you-want-to-know-about-staying-at-a-sex-resort-like-hedonism-ii

Alex Temblador



At Jamaica’s Hedonism II, guests enjoy sun, sand, sea–and possibly sex with strangers


He was the July pick for a calendar of Toronto’s sexiest men. I’d seen him earlier in the night, but he really caught my eye when I spotted him with the other calendar models on a stage in a club at the Jamaican resort I was visiting.

That year, I’d been struggling with my body image, seeking out burlesque and hip-hop dance classes as a way to grow more comfortable with how my curvier body shape moved. Yet, I felt sexy that night in a lacy lingerie one-piece, leather skirt, and black strappy heels.

When Mr. July left the stage, I danced my way over to him in the crowd. We locked eyes and danced with each other for one song before he whispered in my ear, “Do you want to go to the playroom?” I had yet to visit the infamous “playroom”–a space reserved for sexual activity between consenting guests–but I nodded and took his hand.

I was at a sex resort called Hedonism II, after all, and this felt like a first good step in finding my sexy again.

What Is a Sex Resort?

Hedonism II in Negril, Jamaica, is a world-famous sex resort, but it’s not the only one. Temptation Cancun Resort in Cancun, Mexico, Rooftop Resort in Hollywood Beach, Florida, and La Mirage Swingers Complex in Gran Canaria, Spain, are also known for drawing couples and/or singles interested in sensual and erotic travel experiences.

Like any other hotel, sex resorts boast amenities like restaurants, bars, spas, gyms, and on-site activities. Unlike other hotels, there’s usually a sexy angle to each aspect of the property – like rooms with mirrors hanging above the bed. Hedonism II serves travelers sexy themed nights, live sensual shows, Tantra workshops, and spaces where they can get spicy, like the aforementioned playroom.

It should be mentioned that sex resorts are different from resorts with clothing-optional areas. Sure, both have sensual, playful, and party vibes, but sex resorts specifically offer erotic amenities. Clothing-optional resorts usually do not (but that’s not to say you can’t meet someone at the pool and have fun in your room). Naturalist or nudist resorts are also different, as they lack sexual or sensual elements, especially if they’re family-friendly.

Who Goes to Sex Resorts?

Sex resorts have long been angled toward straight couples who like to swing. For instance, both Desire Resort Riviera Maya and La Mirage Swingers Complex are couples only. Temptation Cancun Resort and Hedonism II allow singles to stay, with Temptation being the more LGBTQ+-friendly of the two. Hedonism II has booking rules in place related to single men, like “more than one male per room is not allowed. MM, MMM, and MMF bookings will not be accepted.” In this day and age, such rules feel exclusionary towards polyamorous relationships and queer men.

During my time at Hedonism II, most guests were white, heterosexual couples in their 40s and older. However, there happened to be three groups of younger (20s-30s), single groups staying, who were diverse in terms of race and sexual orientation.

What Are the Rules at Sex Resorts?

As you would imagine, rules are important at sex resorts as the goal is for everyone to have positive, safe, and sanitary experiences. Some hotels make guests sign “contracts” that ensure visitors understand consent, while others hand out (and strongly encourage) condoms for safe sexual experiences. To protect guests’ privacy, phones and cameras are often prohibited in nude spaces. Most likely, the sex resort will have au natural areas, like specific pools, and other places where clothes are required, like restaurants (for sanitary reasons).

Where Do People Have Sex at Sex Resorts?


For the most part, sex resorts limit sexual or intimate play to guest rooms or playrooms. In fact, during the day, Hedonism II looked like a normal resort, with people lying on the beach reading books, having a drink at the bar, or cooling off in the pool.

That’s not to say that guests don’t engage in some sexy touching in public spaces – even if it’s technically against the rules. My first full day at Hedonism II, I saw a woman on a floatie in the ocean being pleasured by her male counterpart with his hands. They were being discreet and quiet, which was likely why staff didn’t notice and put a stop to it.

The sexy themed nights at Hedonism II had guests dressing up in lacey lingerie, leather, or sexy togas, which inevitably led to sensual engagements. My first night, we stripped down and jumped in the pool to play nude volleyball with the Toronto models. Another night, I passed a room where a young couple had a blue light in the window to invite guests in to chat and check out their sex toy collection.

Playrooms are perhaps the “hottest” spots for sex in a sex resort. When the Toronto model and I arrived at the playroom, we undressed completely and handed our clothes to the attendant. Inside, it was spacious, filled with glass showers, beds, and various shallow pools for people to play in.

Did You Ever Feel Uncomfortable?

Visiting Hedonism II was a life-changing experience for me. I spent my time swimming in the ocean or pool, dancing at a foam party, eating sunset dinners on the beach, taking a boat trip around the island, and connecting with people from all walks of life. Not once did I receive unwanted looks, touch, or attention. I was treated with respect by other guests, which is ironic considering that it doesn’t always occur when I’m fully clothed in my day-to-day life. In fact, I returned home feeling more confident, alluring, and comfortable in my body.

And yes–I had amazing sex and sensual experiences which taught me that there is nothing wrong with seeking out places that promote play. After all, travel should be both rewarding and pleasurable. Don’t you think?

Unpredictable demand, cost fluctuations squeezed hotel operators in 2025
Labor trends continue in positive direction


Rising costs have put a strain on hotel operations, including hotels with on-site restaurants. (iStock/Getty Images)
https://www.costar.com/article/1044471893/unpredictable-demand-cost-fluctuations-squeezed-hotel-operators-in-2025



The biggest challenge of the year for hotel operators was in line with the rest of the broader industry — uncertainty.

Whether it was in reference to sudden increases in the cost of goods or demand coming in lower than expected, one thing is clear: meeting hotel owners' expectations was difficult in 2025.

"The biggest challenges for us throughout the year were ... the inconsistencies and the roller coaster of unknowns," said Kerry Ranson, president of operations and partner at South Carolina-based hotel management and ownership company Raines.

It became hard for hoteliers to predict when success was going to come because the roller coaster veered off the usual path frequently during the year, Ranson said.

"The craziest part is, you'd have some months where traditionally on the books, we were great, pacing looked great, and then out of nowhere, strong months ended up being inconsistent," he said.

On the other hand, Raines said, some months that might have been slow in years past ended up surprising him with solid business.

Gabriel Perez, chief operating officer of lodging at South Carolina-based hotel operator The Indigo Road Hospitality Group, said in years past, the costs associated with opening a hotel or restaurant were fixed in a range that was up or down about 3% to 5%. That is no longer the case.

"Now, operators don't feel that we do have that command of category assurance to say this is what it will cost you if we are able to come up with a reasonable figure," he said.

So, what's changed?

Perez said untimely political decisions, such as the rollout of U.S. tariffs on goods from other nations , led to volatility as it relates to vendors and developers. This has presented challenges on the cost side, as prices are a moving target.

"It is very difficult for us to be within budgets, and it's not because of professional misguidance," he said. "It's because everything is changing in real time. Most of it is changing in real time out of leadership whims that have made things different.

"Although we still are able to get items and products and goods from everywhere, we really don't know the final price unless we write the final check at any given moment."

Richard Jones, executive vice president and chief operating officer at Atlanta-based Hospitality Ventures Management Group, said it's been difficult to drive profitability and create value for hotel owners under the current low-to-zero growth revenue environment. According to the most recent CoStar data, U.S. revenue per available room is projected to be down 0.4% year over year in 2025.

This has been a downward trend throughout the year, Jones said. It's forced operators to get creative when it comes to reducing costs while maintaining the guest experience.

"[It's] been quarter over quarter over quarter — it's just been a gradual decline," he said. "And all the stuff recently with the government shutdown and the effect that had on everything going into what was already a soft and challenging period, that just really put even more pressure on everything for a few weeks there."

Even though U.S. inflation has stayed at a generally normalized rate throughout the year, rising costs and flat RevPAR have put pressure on margins, said Gregg Forde, president and chief operating officer at Florida-based Island Hospitality Management.

Forde said his company has one of the lowest turnover rates in the hospitality industry and his teams are laser-focused on service, but that isn't enough to overcome the extenuating pressures.

"This is ultimately a conversation about operational challenges, but the challenge operationally comes from limiting top line," he said. "Ultimately, at the end of the day, if RevPAR as a whole is flat, no matter how good you are at all those things, the challenges operationally become an impact to the margin."

The other side of the coin

It wasn't all bad for hotel operations in 2025.

Last year, the most pressing concerns on the minds of hotel operators were labor and inflation. While inflation remained a challenge in 2025 and is something to watch in 2026, labor has improved greatly over the past 12 months.

Advice from Barry Sternlicht, lower-than-expected demand top hotel headlines of the year
The most-read stories from CoStar News Hotels

Starwood Capital Group's Barry Sternlicht speaks at the 2025 NYU International Hospitality Investment Forum. (Matt Rickman, Questex)
https://www.costar.com/article/1696761481/advice-from-barry-sternlicht-lower-than-expected-demand-top-hotel-headlines-of-the-year



What will be the legacy of 2025 in the hotel industry?

Perhaps it will be demand and revenue per available room slightly decreasing year over year, or maybe it'll be the strength of the luxury segment. Maybe it will be the uncertainty mixed into the economy by the introduction of tariffs, or it'll be the decrease in travel to the U.S. from its Canadian neighbors.

Below is a list of the most-read CoStar News Hotels stories from 2025.

1. Barry Sternlicht: If you're not having fun, get out of the hotel business

Starwood Capital Group Chairman and CEO Barry Sternlicht received the Jonathan Tisch Active Citizenship Award at this year's NYU International Hospitality Investment Forum. In his acceptance of the award, Sternlicht said the hotel business isn't a difficult one to succeed in, but that success can only be achieved with a certain level of passion, CoStar News Hotels Sean McCracken reported.

"If you like people, be in this industry. If you don't, go code in a garage in Mongolia," he said. "This is a fun business, and it should be fun. If you're not having fun, you shouldn't be in the business."

2. Shrinking demand, fewer international tourists and rising expenses dampen outlook for US hotels

There were signs early on in the year that hotel demand wasn't as strong as it was expected to be.

At the Hunter Hotel Investment Conference back in March, Jan Freitag, national director of hospitality analytics at CoStar Group, said that U.S. hotel demand wasn't as strong as it looked. Certain top 25 markets were propping up the overall total across the country, but there was softness past that.

"Unfortunately that, I think, is going to be the tenor for the remainder of the year," Freitag said on the "Key Statistics Shaping Hospitality in 2025" panel at the Hunter Hotel Investment Conference. "We are going to see a top line that looks pretty good, but then you have to un-layer it and say, 'Oh, underlying that is maybe not as strong of a hotel industry as we'd like it to be.'"

3. Lack of conviction among buyers slows US hotel deals pace

The hotel transactions market undertook a similar path as hotel demand — initial expectations of positive momentum progressively became more and more subdued.

In June, CoStar News Hotels Bryan Wroten reported that hoteliers felt the pace of deals was slower than they believed it would be, and there were questions about its potential to pick up. The roadblocks in place on the buyer side had nothing to do with a lack of access to capital, said Dustin Fisher, senior vice president of investments at Noble Investment Group.

“It’s purely uncertainty,” he said. “Trade policy, government spending, international travel — you can take your pick.”

4. Marriott ends agreement with Sonder over default

In a stunning move that made national headlines, Marriott International ended its 20-year licensing agreement with apartment-hotel brand company Sonder Holdings less than two years into the partnership due to the latter's default.

Marriott immediately removed all of Sonder's properties from its booking channels, which caused guests to have their reservations canceled abruptly in the middle of their stays.

Sonder placed the blame of its default on "severe financial constraints," in part due to challenges integrating its systems into Marriott's platform. Marriott pushed back on these claims, and said in a news release that it "does not agree with the characterizations expressed in Sonder's release."

5. Labor attorney urges hoteliers to prepare for arrival of ICE agents

Under the direction of the Trump administration, the U.S. federal government has intensified its focus on arresting and deporting illegal immigrants and legal immigrants who have lost their protected status.

Many of those immigrants work in the hotel industry, so employers need to be ready for property visits from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents and other law enforcement agents, said Jessica Cook, a partner at law firm Fisher Phillips who has a specialty in immigration employment.

“They need to prepare,” Cook said. “The government is laser focused when it comes to immigration compliance right now, and we're going to see the worksite enforcement continue."




DUHC&S | Strategic Hospitality Consulting & Advisory

We transform hospitality and tourism businesses through strategic solutionsoperational efficiency, and comprehensive renovation. With over  40 years of experience  working with brands like Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, and Sonesta, we enhance asset value and profitability through:

*Operational excellence and brand standards (GSI +90%)
*Market penetration and commercial strategies
*Key partnerships and disruptive innovation
*Hotel openings and repositioning

Proven results :
✅ 48% GOP | 
✅ +120% asset valuation growth
✅ Successful projects across 6 Latin American countries

🔹 Let's connect :
📩 Email:  diurugeles@gmail.com
📱 WhatsApp: +57 3153259968
               https://viajes-noticias-duhospitality.blogspot.com
               https://viajes-duhospitality.blogspot.com
               https://travel-duhospitality.blogspot.com



Disclaimer

DUHC&S shares this information for educational and informational purposes only. The news articles reproduced here are sourced from public and recognized media outlets. We are not the original authors of this content but rather distributors of it. All credits go to the original sources cited in each article. If you are the legitimate owner of any material and wish to have it modified or removed, please contact us immediately at  diurugeles@gmail.com, and we will address your request promptly.

Comments

https://travel-news-duhospitality.blogspot.com